Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


Growing up as a child my brother Alain and I spent our summers in France with our mother's family. We spent half that time at our Grandmere's house outside of Paris and the other half at our family's summer home in Arromanches, a little town in Normandy and where the British and Canadians landed and was chosen as the location for the an artificial harbor to bring in equipment, weapons and ammunition on D Day, June 6th, 1944. Arromanches is otherwise known as Gold Beach. My brother and I grew up learning about D Day. My mother goes back every anniversary with her family to remember those who liberated the French in the campaign. There are only a few veterans left, so this upcoming anniversary will most likely be the last with any of them.
As children my brother and I along with our cousin Fabrice and miscellaneous french friends who would visit us for a weekend or so played on the beaches and climbed the remnants of the war. If you google Arromanches you will see what we played on when the tide was low. We were members of Club Mickey and would build sand castles, look for jellyfish and swim in the water. We were happy kids, running around town in our little bathing suits, buying candy from the candy store and getting fresh milk from the farm a couple of houses down from ours. It was Heaven for us. Carefree and fun, the best way to grow up. I love Arromanches. It is my favorite place in the world. My Grandpere Roger, Uncle Mario and my Grandmere are all buried there together in one grave in a little cemetery overlooking the beaches. I may have been born in Paris, grew up in San Mateo, but I am from Arromanches. I am both French and American, the best of both worlds in my opinion.


So, on this Memorial Day let's remember all those whose lives were taken so that we could all be where we are today. Free.

Thank you et Merci.


Memorial at Omaha Beach


Schyler at Omaha Beach - April 2007


In April 2007, I took Schyler to meet my family in France and show him Normandy. It was a beautiful trip. We drove from my Aunt Alyette's house in Sevres to Arromanches and spent a couple of days with my Aunt Evelyne at the house. It was really neat for me to show Schyler where I came from and for him to meet my family. I hope to go back again soon with my children.

Enjoy your Memorial Day!

1 comment:

Jon and Arline Libby said...

The photos and story are moving. Thanks